Saturday, December 29, 2007

Two Nights of Camping

Backyard that is. We recently got our first real tent and to test it before using it in a real campground setting, we decided to do our own camping in a not so spartan setting. It is a Wenger Lugano, a 16' x 10' -2-room tent that supposedly can accommodate up to 8 people although I feel a family of 4 or 5 is just the perfect size for this tent especially when you don't want your place too crowded and you still want to be able to walk around inside. After doing some research on the net and finding out that this tent has the most glowing reviews for tents similar to this at the same price range, it was an easy choice. I also considered Coleman and Eureka but obviously, the Wenger won. It's just so full of features (i.e. an e-port, dirty shoes compartment that can be accessed inside and out, zip-up dividers, large windows, extra D-style door at the side) and so well designed but the most wonderful thing is, it's so fast and easy to set-up. I think I was able to put it up in less than 20 minutes with David and Missy helping me and we were not even rushing. Next time I put it up, it will be even much faster since I already know what to do.

Sleeping there for two nights and the kids staying there for most of the day but still being close to a real home's amenities was not that challenging but we all enjoyed it, never the less. To make sure the kids don't get bored, I put a small TV, included a DVD player and David's Gamecube. Missy got some of her new toys and they were all set. I just gave them a two-way radio to make sure we can easily communicate to each other especially that you can't really guarantee your complete safety even in your own backyard. I even gave them MRE's (meals ready to eat a la military food) for dinner one night to let them feel we're really camping out.

After the 'practice camping' which was how Missy put it, I guess we're ready to use it in the real outdoors. Hopefully we can do it during spring break or summer.




No comments: