Monday, March 17, 2008

Papa's Open Heart Bypass Surgery

Last March 15, Saturday morning Papa underwent an open heart surgery at the new Medical City in the Ortigas area to repair 5 arteries. He was talked to by his doctor to have it done there instead of the Phil. Heart Center because the facility is new and the equipment is state of the art. He's already 70 y.o. but I'm glad that he's still very strong and active and actually has not retired yet from working. A few years ago when he went here with my mom, he drove from San Francisco to San Diego stopping at Monterey area for an overnight break. We were kind of discouraging him because of his age because it's easily a 12 to 14 hour drive depending on how fast you want to drive and even younger people will find it quite a very tiring drive.




Anyway, the 7-8 hour operation was a success. The 38 y.o. surgeon by the name of Dr. Cristobal and his team did a fine job and my dad was already sitting and talking by the next day. We've already talked a number of times and he said he was ready to go home even though I think he will have to stay there for a few more days. I'm grateful to God that he gave my dad a new lease on life and he never allowed him to suffer an attack while he was considering his options for a few months. I was kidding him that it's like having an almost brand new heart again.


Too bad he missed the Pacquiao-Marquez fight but I'm sending him a dvd. I'm sure he was happy that Pacquiao won esp. that he is a real boxing aficionado.


Papa with Mama when we went to Yosemite National Park in April 2006 for a family reunion.

No comments: