Thursday, November 09, 2006

New Coconut Palms

Today, I planted 2 seedlings of coconut palms in our backyard, the Green Malayan Dwarf variety which I bought through Ebay. The fruit color can be either yellow, brown/red or green. Being used to the green coconut found in the Philippines, I opted for the green one. In zones 10 and 11 (South Florida), it can be planted in the ground. For other zones it can be used as a container palm and protected from cold weather. This type of coconut palm is known for its hardiness and resistance to disease. This grows from about 30 to 60 feet although the seller said this one grows to only 20 feet. I hope it survives and grow not too high. I never in my entire life have climbed a coconut tree and never intend to do it even now. This dwarf variety is just the right size for us. I love to eat the meat from a coconut and drink its juice, someday it would provide for us.

No comments: