Monday, November 06, 2006

Filipino food that I miss

I know this is not a dedicated food blog but lately, I've been craving for certain Filipino food that I've not tasted for a long time. Since I started living here in the US eight years ago, I have learned to be a very good cook and when I crave for something, I just make it. Dishes like beef kaldereta, beef pochero with eggplant salad, pinakbet, laing, kilawin na tanigue, paella, bangus sardines, atsara and chicken pie among others. There are times I can figure out how a certain food is cooked just by tasting it and have replicated some dishes this way. When we were in San Francsico in April, we went to this Thai restaurant where they have this mussel soup that was very good and with the distinct taste of ginger, lime, lemongrass, red curry, cilantro and coconut milk, I tried it at home and was very successful with it.

Now there are a few I haven't tried making yet but now I'm planning to make if only I can find the right ingredients. Here's the list.

Pinangat (Filling of coconut meat, shrimps, small crabs wrapped in gabi leaves and simmered in coconut milk with hot pepper-my favorite) - the best I've ever tasted was cooked by a Bicolana wife of a staff of mine at my father's business. This is the only time where I've muttered, 'lasang langit' (tastes like heaven) and was never repeated after that. That was more than 8 years ago. It's just far more different from laing. I'd give anything to taste it again (a slight exaggeration!).






Okoy - I never shy away when I find it on someone's dinner table. I should really try making it. Now where can I find small shrimps with the head on.

Pinakbet with Bagnet (Vigan style) - My pinakbet is not bad but the Vigan style pinakbet is really good. I wonder what kind of 'bagoong' is used in it.

Bringhe (Paella Pampanguena)-I can cook a mean paella but when my Mom visits us from the Phils., I always request her to cook bringhe. It's just different especially that it's cooked with coconut milk. When we were younger, this dish is always present during reunions with families from my grandmother's side who were 'kapampangan'. I guess that 25% kapampangan blood in me gave me that 'uwido' or flair to cook and really appreciate excellent Filipino cooking. Time for me to try this too.

I also miss burong hipon (fermented rice with shrimp), pure taba ng talangka (fat/roe from small crab) and heko (shrimp paste).

If somebody can show me where can I find gabi leaves that are whole, not shredded which you can buy in a Filipino store, please show me. I'm even thinking of planting 'gabi' or taro just to make a 'pinangat'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro, nice to read your short food blog. It really is a joy to cook and to eat them too. Bought the taba ng talangka which we will send thru Ophine cousin. Hope they're good - got them from SM Megamall Cabalen.

Amy and I are cooking up a recipe for a food business we are praying for. Secret muna dahil baka di will ni Lord. We're enjoying the R & D process and was able to develop 1 set already. I guess you're wondering what this is about...

in the near future matuloy man o hindi sasabihin namin.

Thanks,

Neil