Wednesday, January 14, 2009

River Street of Savannah at Night

We were at the Tybee Island Lighthouse until closing and that made us hungry again. Before heading up our hotel, we discovered this burger joint just next door to the hotel called 'Five Brothers' where everything on it and in it can be custom ordered. We ordered our food to go and inside the bag, every burger is numbered with a printout of what's in the bun. There was no mistake who ordered what and which one. I ended up having a very thick sandwich as I had them put everything on their list in it plus the optional ones. I like mine 'spaaayciii'.

After that burger dinner, we relaxed a little bit, watched Wheel of Fortune on TV and then off we went to River Street. We just needed to cross the street from the hotel and walk down the cobblestone path. Waiting for the pedestrian light to show we can walk was even a longer wait. If you want to see Savannah at night, this is the place to go to. A lot of novelty and souvenir shops, restaurants (more like tourist traps), candy and ice cream shops, curious tourists and 'talented' locals performing their crafts for some 'donations'.

Winter time in Savannah is more on the 'lean' season but there were a lot of tourists' enjoying the night on River Street. There was a free tour of a "pirate ship" near the dock so we went there too. Anything that is free should be good, right? Well, in this case it was not bad. This ship, the name of which I can't remember was made in Brazil and then rigged here in the US. I won't mind sailing on this kind of ship and the 'tour at your own phase' was 'interesting.' They were only asking for donations. David and Missy were so proud they gave a dollar apiece.

After checking out the food shops for some ice cream and freebie tasting of the candies, having some more photo ops with Santa, we headed back to the hotel for some good night's rest. On the way back while snapping more photos, a car behind me pulled over and a woman passenger asked if I'd like to take her picture. I asked here if she was sure since I felt something strange is about to happen. She was already gesturing that she's about to 'flash' me but I guess she saw that I was with my family so she played it safe. Whew! From the looks of it, I believe she had one drink too many.

This was our last night in Savannah. The following day we're heading back to Tybee Island right after an early breakfast, actually the island before that know as Cockspur Island where we are going to check out the Fort Pulaski National Monument before heading back home to South Florida.


























No comments: