Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Golden Boys...our First Basketball Game


Finally, we had our first basketball  game last Oct. 12 at Washington Park in Hollywood. The tournament for us 'oldies' is under the Phil-Am Basketball Ass. of South Florida (www.pbasf.com) and our team  is composed of guys from 41 to 62 y.o. We won our first game (44-43) against the team 'Veterans'. It was a close game esp. in the second half and we were so happy we won. It was 43-40 less than a minute away from the buzzer but the other team made a 'Three' but fortunately one teammate was able to convert on a foul shot  5 seconds before the game ended.


I was not expecting to be this competitive at my age but it really just draws you to do it when you're in the game. It's been a long time since I was into team sports and I had to say it was a welcome treat for me. I somewhat missed the game, the spirit, the camaraderie, the emotion and all the baggage even; the physical aspect of the game, banging bodies and sore muscles. All these just rushed in especially after the game. 

I'm now looking forward to playing the game once again and looks like I'll be going to play every Sunday for a little while after about twenty years of "staying retired". Hopefully, we'll all stay healthy, safe and free from injuries. This is still a country for old men I guess. 

photo credit: Mr. Nick Bustos

No comments: