Friday, March 02, 2007

History of my Photography


Above you'd find a collage of some of my favorite photos. Some coming from my pre-digital days. This is just a mixture of what my photography is all about. I will make a separate collage for my portraits but this collage includes 'stints' with photojournalism, landscape and nature, action shots and 'others'. You might want to click on the photo to enlarge it.



******************

I was about 7 or 8 if I'm not mistaken when my Dad gave us siblings a plastic camera that takes 120 roll film. I think it was an Agfa camera but it was just so long ago that I'm not even sure what it really was. It's no longer with any of us I believe but that started my interest with photography. At that age, we treated it more of a toy wasting film on wherever we wanted to point the camera to without any regard to any technical consideration when taking pictures.

My dad was a photo buff. He even had some darkroom equipment that he passed on to us esp. my twin brother Gary when we were in high school. My brother was more interested with photography and he was even involved with the batch yearbook while I use most of my free time playing basketball with my friends. But during my junior and senior years in HS, I was carrying a camera in my bag almost every day. I was even able to persuade my HS friends and also basketball team mates to pose for me so I can take their solo pictures. It was working fine until a classmate pushed my bag too far on the table and down came my camera, a little broken but I also learned how to fix it's mechanical parts by opening it's bottom plate. It was a Konica Autoreflex 35mm camera with a 50mm Hexanon lens. It was just sort of lent to us by our Dad but we never returned it until it's demise. Then Gary was gifted by my Mom I think with a Pentax ME Super that from time to time I would borrow.

During college, photography took a back seat but I would still occasionally lug a camera around especially during events I was involved with.

After college, I was able to buy my first own 35mm camera and it was a Nikon N4004 from my earnings. That renewed my interest with photography. I ultimately moved to a Canon EOS A2, Nikon 8008s which is still with me and a medium format Mamiya RB67 before I started shooting primarily digital. I have already sold the Canon and the Mamiya equipment last year since the price was really going down so fast when dSLRs where becoming more advanced and more reasonable in price.

I am still very involved with my craft, trying to learn whatever I can to shoot better by studying whatever I needed to learn. Yes, it's very technical but I have always believed I have a good eye for compositions and that's a plus factor for me. Now that I'm concentrating more on portraiture, the learning just never stops. Now, it's just not clicking the shutter but becoming my own lab since I just have to make use of what digital photography offers. My, the learning curve is very steep but it's worth it.
I still have a 'not so short wishlist'. Yes, a very good photographer can shoot with any available equipment but having better and more versatile equipment helps a photographer shoot better photos.

No comments: