Monday, December 04, 2006

Japanese Persimmon Tree in our backyard



Together with David and Missy, we planted our just arrived grafted Japanese Persimmon Tree -Giant Fuyu Variety. It's a non-astringent type meaning it can be harvested when it's not yet ripe and will ripen by itself unattached to the tree. It's still at it's dormant stage and I just have to really make sure it doesn't dry out. As always, I bought this tree through Ebay since I find it easier to find plants or trees from Ebay sellers than calling nurseries and checking if they have the specimen I'm looking for. It's just much more convenient and most of the time cheaper too, even with shipping included.

I first tasted a persimmon fruit when I was in Japan way back in 1993 if I'm not mistaken. I was there for a two-week entrepreneurship training c/o AOTS. It was my 2nd to the last day when I decided to buy the fruit in the cafeteria and I immediately realized I should have bought it much, much sooner. All the while I thought it was just a giant tomato that's why I never decided to try it earlier.

Now, we have this persimmon tree and hopefully in less than 3 years it will bear fruit and we'd be happy.

No comments: